The first record of this bank is in 1771 as Raymond, Williams, Vere, Lowe and Fletcher. Its name changed a number of times due to the comings and goings of partners. It was reconstituted in 1825 with different shareholders as Williams, Deacon, Labouchere & Co, becoming Williams Deacon in 1882.
1890 acquired by Manchester & Salford and the name became Williams Deacon & Manchester & Salford Bank. 1901 the name became Williams Deacon's Bank. 1931 acquired by the Royal Bank of Scotland but traded separately. 1970 it was integrated with Glyn, Mills & Co. and The National Bank to form Williams & Glyn's Bank This was still a subsidiary of the Royal Bank of Scotland and it was not rebranded as its parent company until 1985.
By 1890 it had a seat in the Bankers Clearing House.