Group    From 1719  To 1994

Westminster Hospital

Categories: Medicine

Originally established as a charitable society, over the years it has occupied various premises: Petty France (1720 – 24); Chappell Street, renamed Broadway (1724 – 35); Buckingham Gate (1735 - 1831); Broad Sanctuary, purpose-built (1831 - 1938); St John’s Gardens, east and west (1938 – 1993). In 1993 the hospital reopened as the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital on the old St Stephen's Hospital site in Fulham Road.

Note that in 1733 in a dispute regarding the new site the entire medical staff resigned and set up St George’s Hospital at Hyde Park Corner.

The hospital buildings on both sides of St John’s Gardens remain (the facades at least), those on the west were converted into luxury apartments, Westminster Green.

The picture shows the building in Broad Sanctuary. This was demolished in 1950 following a fire, the site now being occupied by the Queen Elizabeth II Conference Centre.

Lost Hospitals of London has been our prime source.

Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Westminster Hospital

Commemorated atInformation

Westminster Chapel

Upon this spot, formerly the site of Westminster Hospital, a house of god for...

Read More

Westminster Hospital - burial ground

The foundation stone of the Westminster Hospital for its move from Broad Sanc...

Read More

Other Subjects

Royal Marsden Hospital

Royal Marsden Hospital

"Now gentlemen, I want to found a hospital for the treatment of cancer, and for the study of the disease, for at the present time we know absolutely nothing about it." - Dr William Marsden - 1851. ...

Group, Medicine

2 memorials
St Olave's Hospital

St Olave's Hospital

Built originally as the Rotherhithe Infirmary in the early 1870s. It became the infirmary of St Olave's Union in 1875, and was renamed St Olave's Hospital in 1930. In 1966 it became part of the Guy...

Place, Medicine

1 memorial
John Hughlings Jackson

John Hughlings Jackson

Physician specialising in a type of epilepsy. Born Yorkshire. Died at home at 3 Manchester Square.

Person, Medicine

1 memorial
St Barthomews Hospital - East wing

St Barthomews Hospital - East wing

Placed at the service of the war office during the Great War and was occupied by sick and wounded soldiers of the British Expeditionary Forces from October 1914 until the 31st January 1918. 5406 s...

Building, War Memorial WW1, Medicine

1 memorial