Group    From 1965 

Westminster City Council

The ancient parish of St Margaret's was divided into St Margaret's and St John's in 1727 but it was still run as a single vestry. In 1855 the two parishes were reformed into the Westminster District but St Margaret and St John continued to have a nominal existence until 1922.

Westminster City Council was created in 1965 from the former area of the Metropolitan Boroughs of St Marylebone, Paddington and the smaller Metropolitan Borough of Westminster (1900-65).

The City of Westminster crest has the motto 'Custodi Civitatem Domine', 'O lord watch over our city'.

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Westminster City Council

Commemorated ati

Amsterdam 700th Anniversary

These gardens were renamed Rembrandt Gardens on 2 May 1975 to commemorate the...

Read More

Approved extension

A misunderstanding? A joke? Do the owners now claim they have an English Heri...

Read More

Coroner's Court, Westminster - foundation

Thrust into a corner of the facade and hidden by a bay tree this plaque has t...

Read More

Coroner's Court, Westminster - keystone

This delicate monogram can be decoded to represent: St Margaret and St John, ...

Read More

Trees for Westminster

To celebrate Westminster City Council's Quatercentenary HRH the Duke of Kent,...

Read More

Show all 6

This section lists the memorials created by the subject on this page:
Westminster City Council

Creations i

50 years of peace

The two seated allies are unidentified at the site but with the assistance of...

Read More

Adams-Acton

John Adams-Acton, sculptor, 1831 - 1910, lived here 1882 - 1906. Westminster ...

Read More

Alexis Soyer

Alexis Soyer, 1810 - 1858, chef, author of cookbooks, inventor, lived here. C...

Read More

Alhambra Theatre

Theatreland - heart of the performing arts in London. Alhambra Theatre On t...

Read More

Ambrose Godfrey

Ambrose Godfrey, 1660 - 1741, chemist and inventor of the fire extinguisher, ...

Read More

Other Subjects

Sir Albert Joseph Altman

Sir Albert Joseph Altman

Chairman of the Bridge House Estates Committee, 1894. His portrait comes from an 1894 card celebrating his silver wedding anniversary.  It also has a portrait of his wife and of Tower Bridge.

Person, Politics & Administration

1 memorial
William Johnson Fox

William Johnson Fox

Born Suffolk. 1806 he enrolled in the Independent academy at Homerton, then 'near' London.  1812 converted from Calvinism to Unitarianism.  1817 called to the Unitarian, chapel in Parliament Court,...

Person, Politics & Administration, Religion

1 memorial
Lewis Williams

Lewis Williams

Co-churchwarden of St Antholin in 1830.

Person, Politics & Administration

1 memorial
Lord Mountevans

Lord Mountevans

Shipbroker and peer. Born Jeffrey Richard de Corban Evans. Lord Mayor of London 2015/16.

Person, Lord Mayor, Politics & Administration

1 memorial
Reformers tree / Reform tree

Reformers tree / Reform tree

The text on the memorial says that the original tree was burnt by the people at the Reform League meeting at the tree on that day in 1866 but we can find no confirmation of that.  Wikipedia has qui...

Place, Politics & Administration

1 memorial

Previously viewed

English Heritage

English Heritage

English Heritage (officially the English Heritage Trust) is a charity that manages over 400 historic monuments, buildings and places. These include prehistoric sites, medieval castles, Roman forts,...

Group, Architecture, History, Property

421 memorials