mobile nav

Subject

UCL Institute of Archaeology

Group  From 1937 

Categories: Education, History

75th anniversary of the UCL Institute of Archaeology in 2012. From the picture source website:

Thanks to his {Mortimer Wheeler's} efforts and those of his wife, Tessa Verney Wheeler, his ambitions were realised when the Institute was officially opened in 1937, with Mortimer Wheeler as its first director." Professor of Western Asiatic Archaeology was Max Mallowan. "Initially the Institute was based in St John’s Lodge, Regent’s Park {which lovely gardens are now public}, but in 1958 it moved into purpose-built new premises in Gordon Square."

See other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
UCL Institute of Archaeology

Information Commemorated at

Archaeology standing stone

Unveiling page tells that the sarsen stone was donated by a farmer in the Ave...

Read More