mobile nav


The Walkers of Southgate

Picture source

Credit for this entry to:
Alan Patient of

The Walkers of Southgate


Categories: Sport / Games

Cricketing brothers. John (1826-1885), Alfred (1827-1870), Frederic (1829-1889), Arthur Henry (1833-1878), Vyell Edward (1837-1906), Russell Donnithorne (1842-1922) and Isaac Donnithorne (1844-1898) lived at Arnos Grove House in Southgate. Their family fortune was built through the brewing company of Taylor Walker, and they became keen cricketers while at Harrow School and Trinity College, Cambridge. They founded the Southgate Cricket Club in 1855, a Middlesex team in 1859, the official Middlesex County Cricket Club in 1864, and were instrumental in establishing the home of the county at Lords in 1877. Our picture is of Russell Donnithorne.

Note how the names got more exotic, as the family grew.

See other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
The Walkers of Southgate

Information Commemorated at

The Walkers of Southgate

This is one of those plaques modelled on those of the City of London.

Read More