There is evidence of a 'Miller's Hotel' on the site in the early 1800s which was renamed in 1836. It was purchased by Rosa Lewis, who expanded it by combining four buildings into one. During both the World Wars it was used as a social first aid centre for servicemen. When Lewis became ill, a friend took it over, but it went into decline and closed in 1962. The current hotel opened in 1966.
Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk