mobile nav


Tabard Inn

Building  From 1307  To 1873

Set up by an abbot from Winchester to give his brethren somewhere to stay in London and to provide accomodation to pilgrims on their way to Canterbury, in particular Chaucer's pilgrims, who set off from here in April 1386.

Destroyed by a major fire in 1669, rebuilt as the Talbot which became a well-known coaching inn. The railways took its trade away and it was converted to storage before being demolished. 

See other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Tabard Inn

Information Commemorated at

Chaucer's Tabard Inn

Unveiled by Terry Jones of the Pythons.

Read More