St Pauls German Evangelical Reformed Church
Building From 1886 To 1941
Built 1886-1887, destroyed by bombing in 1941. We have failed to find a picture of this church but AIM25 gives this: "The German Evangelical Reformed Church was established in London in 1697 by Protestant refugees fleeing religious oppression in the Palatinate. William III permitted services to be held in the chapel of the Savoy Palace. A new church built in Duchy Lane, Savoy, on the site of a French Church was consecrated in 1771. It was closed and demolished in 1816 to make way for the construction of Waterloo Bridge. A new church was consecrated in 1819 in Hooper Square, Leman Street, Whitechapel, which was in turn demolished as the site was required for railway purposes. The replacement church built in Goulston Street, Whitechapel, in 1886-1887 was destroyed by bombing in 1941." If they were superstitious the congregation might have felt that their church was jinxed.