Place From 1665
In the 1660s Henry Jermyn was given the right by Charles II to develop an area carved out of the royal parks. One of the few areas in London that is clearly defined geographically, it is bounded by Piccadilly, Haymarket, The Mall and Green Park and is known as St James’s. Jermyn built houses for the aristocracy some of which were converted into gentlemen’s clubs in the 19th century and this area was sometimes called Clubland. St James's Square was the first in the West End.