mobile nav

Subject

Silver Thimble Fund

Group  From 8/7/1915  To 1919

Categories: Benefactor

Miss {Elizabeth} H. E. Hope-Clarke of Wimbledon, inspired by her own damaged silver thimble, started collecting damaged or unwanted thimbles and other trinkets to contribute to the war effort. She launched the appeal in The Times newspaper in 1915. Undamaged items were sold, others were melted down.

Your Local Guardian tells the story: "Miss Hope-Clarke and her sister were soon joined by Lady Maud Wilbraham and a staff of volunteers. Some 60,000 thimbles were rapidly converted into two ambulances as vast quantities of trinkets arrived at the Hope-Clarkes’ Wimbledon house {2 Church Road}, which remained the fund’s headquarters for nearly the entire period of the war."

Queen Alexandra, the King's mother, became the patron of the fund which went international, to the colonies and beyond. Closed down at the end of the Great War, the charity was re-established in WW2.

Our picture shows one of the ambulances bought by the fund.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials created by the subject on this page:
Silver Thimble Fund

Information Creations

72937

Thimble shelters - north

The navy has been referred to as "Britain's sure shield" since, at least, Tra...

Read More

72939

Thimble shelters - south

{On the panel, facing the Palace:} Erected by "The Silver Thimble Fund", 1919...

Read More