One of the two sources of the Tyburn river, the other being in the grounds of Belsize Manor (now the area called Belsize Park). The picture shows the well in 1820. In 1878 Edward Walford wrote " There used to be an arch over the conduit, and rails stood round it; but since Hampstead has been supplied by the New River Company the conduit has become neglected, and the spring is now only a small and dirty swamp."
This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
For the good of the public this fountain is erected near the site of an ancie...
Newby's ice store
Newby's ice store stood on the north bank of the canal in the 1860s. Ice was used to keep food fresh for transport, and in shops. Imported mainly from Norway, it was delivered along the canal by ho...
Pope’s Head Tavern
From British History: "...'Pope's Head', mentioned as early as the reign of Edward IV. Here, in the reign of Henry VI., wine was sold at a penny a pint, without charge for bread."
R. W. Shackleton
Company Secretary to the Dairy Supply Company in 1888.
Originally part of the water supply to the Greyfriars Monastery, Newgate Street. See British History 1 and British History 2 for details. The same water was also used to supply Charterhouse from th...