mobile nav

Subject

Royal National Throat Nose & Ear Hospital

Royal National Throat Nose & Ear Hospital

Group  From 1865  To 1981

Categories: Medicine

From Lost Hospitals of London: "In 1862 Dr. Morell Mackenzie ... , one of the pioneers of laryngology, founded the Free Dispensary for Diseases of the Throat and Loss of Voice at 5 King Street (later renamed Kingly Street) {W1} ... The Dispensary was an instant success and by 1865 it had moved to larger premises - 32 Golden Square {site of the plaque} ... The building had previously housed the London Homoeopathic Hospital from 1851 to 1856. The Dispensary was renamed the Hospital for Diseases of the Throat - the first specialist throat hospital in the country - and the first in-patients were admitted."

In 1864 the spin-off Central London Throat and Ear Hospital was founded as a dispensary in Manchester Street (later renamed Argyle Street). In 1877 it moved to a purpose-built hospital on a narrow site in Grays Inn Road. 1940 the two hospitals merged back together.

1897-8 the Golden Square building was demolished and rebuilt. In 1912 the Hospital expanded into 33, Golden Square. 1925, this was demolished and rebuilt, larger. 1985 the Golden Square premises were closed and services  consolidated services at the Grays Inn Road branch.

See other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Royal National Throat Nose & Ear Hospital

Information Commemorated at

Sir Morell MacKenzie

Placed 17 May 1995.

Read More