mobile nav


Royal College of Physicians

Group  From 1518 

Categories: Education, Medicine

Founded by Thomas Linacre in 1518 with a charter granted by Henry VIII. Their first home was Linacre's own house in Knightrider Street. Their second home, at Amen Corner, Paternoster Row, was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666. Their new Hall opened in Warwick Lane in 1675 and then in 1799 the College decided to move out to a new building in Pall Mall East, which, in the 1960s they sold to the Canadian High Commission, who still occupy it today, 2010. The current building in Regent's Park, opened in 1964 and designed by Sir Denys Lasdun, is the fifth home of the College.

See other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Royal College of Physicians

Information Commemorated at

Linacre bust

This bust is fixed to the wall of the building in the garden seen in the pict...

Read More

Royal College of Physicians - EC4

Site of the Royal College of Physicians, 1674 - 1825. The Corporation of the...

Read More

Sloane tomb

To the memory of Sir Hans Sloane, Bart. President of the Royal Society and of...

Read More

This section lists the memorials created by the subject on this page:
Royal College of Physicians

Information Creations

Jerwood Medical Centre

The content of this plaque is rather dull but we love the quality brickwork.

Read More

St Andrew's Place Medical Precinct

St Andrew's Place Medical Precinct was opened by Her Majesty The Queen, Visit...

Read More