Royal Arsenal Gatehouse
Place From 1828
Also known as the Beresford Gate (after William Beresford, Master-General of the Ordnance and Governor of the Royal Military Academy in Woolwich), and was formerly the main entrance to the Royal Arsenal. In 1969 plans for the widening of adjacent roads because of traffic congestion recommended the gate's demolition. After much delay, (during which time the building had become listed), the roads were diverted and the arch now forms part of Beresford Square. Our picture from about 1911, is described as a dinner time crowd - but nobody appears to be eating!