Building    From 1574 

Queen Elizabeth College Almshouses

Founded by William Lambard to house twenty local, elderly, poor people and entrusted to be run by the Drapers' Company. The original buildings were demolished in 1818, and their replacements were extended in 1884, providing accommodation for a further thirty-four people. Residents call their homes 'Hobbit Houses'.

Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Queen Elizabeth College Almshouses

Commemorated ati

Queen Elizabeth College

{Beneath the crest of William Lambard:} The College of Queen Elizabeth founde...

Read More

Queen Elzabeth College rebuilt

The unknown crest is probably Plumers's.

Read More

Other Subjects

Castle Baynard Ward Club (centenary)

Castle Baynard Ward Club (centenary)

Founded by Sir Thomas Vansittart Bowater. Initially intended to protect the ward's interests and enable members to meet councillors in the City of London. Now more just a social club.

Group, Community / Clubs

1 memorial
Jak Beula Dodd

Jak Beula Dodd

Born St Mary's Hospital Paddington, to parents who were both from Jamaica, John Bubeula Dodd is commonly known as Jak Beula. He is a British entrepreneur and cultural activist of Caribbean heritage...

Person, Community / Clubs, Race Issues, Sculpture

2 memorials
Frank Gilbert Crichlow

Frank Gilbert Crichlow

Human rights campaigner, community organiser and restauranteur.  Born Trinidad. Came to England in June 1953.  Founded Mangrove Restaurant.  Co-founded Mangrove Steel Band and Mangrove Community As...

Person, Community / Clubs, Food & Drink, Race Issues, Social Welfare, Caribbean Islands

1 memorial
Duke of Wellington's Discharged and Demobilised Soldiers and Sailors Benevolent Club

Duke of Wellington's Discharged and Demobilised Soldiers and Sailors Benevolent Club

Group who frequented the Duke of Wellington public house in Cyprus Street, and erected the Cyprus Street memorial. The pub closed in 2005 and has been converted into residential use.

Group, Community / Clubs, History

1 memorial