Architect. His father and grandfather were both architects with the name Thomas Hardwick. Hardwick married Julia Shaw, sister of John Shaw, also from a family of architects. Their son, Philip Charles Hardwick - go on, guess his profession.
Works in London include: St Barts Hospital 1842, warehouses at St Katherine's Docks 1828 and the demolished Euston Arch. From about 1845 a spinal complaint meant his work was restricted to what he could do in his room and he retired in 1861. This is all relevent for trying to differentiate his work from his (same name) son's, which, given that they worked together and the son inherited many of the father's commissions, is not easy.