Founder of the first voluntary blood donor service. Born in Fish Street, St Ives, Cornwall. In 1921, he helped found the Camberwell division of the British Red Cross Society, and conceived the idea of forming a panel of blood donors, after four members of his division responded to a call from King's College Hospital for donors. Following this, he asked for volunteers to have their blood group tested and be ready to attend a hospital whenever a call came through, day or night. In 1932, the Voluntary Blood Donors Association was formed with donors numbering about 2,700. He Died in St George's Hospital, Westminster. Our photograph shows his portrait in the Haematology Department of King's College Hospital, Denmark Hill.
Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk