City Pest House
Building From 1594 To 1736
The Pest House was built in 1594, in the fields where Bath Street is now situated. It served to isolate those suffering from such incurable or infectious diseases as leprosy and the plague, from the City of London. From 1693 to 1718 the Pest House was used for sick French Protestant refugees until the French Hospital was built on an adjacent site. It was demolished in 1736 after having been in a ruinous condition for many years.