mobile nav

Subject

Paul's Cross

Building  From 1191  To 1643

Categories: Religion

Sermons had been preached at Paul's Cross since at least the 12th century. In 1449 Bishop Kemp had it rebuilt and it remained in that form until in 1643 the puritanical Long Parliament ordered its destruction. It was an open octagonal booth with a pitched roof on top of which stood a cross. In 1874 the foundations of the Cross were discovered.

The New York Times of 5 November 1910 carries a report of the opening ceremony for the memorial and gives some details of the history of the Cross.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Paul's Cross

Information Commemorated at

48275

Paul's Cross

{Inscribed on the stone at the centre of this octagonal paving arrangement:} ...

Read More

46103

Paul's Cross and the Richards family

The figure on top is St Paul, of course.

Read More