A club for Dutchmen who had escaped their occupied country to join the Allied Forces. The Dutch Wikipedia has some information. The day of opening may be 2 rather than 6 (sources vary). The literal translation is 'Orange Port', orange of course being the colour of the Dutch Royal family, going back to the House of Oranje-Nassau, from which our King William III came.
Building From 6/6/1942
This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Oranjehaven This building served as a club endowed in 1942 by Her Majesty Que...
Brixton Black Women's Group
Started by Olive Morris and other women who had been active in the Black Panther Movement. It was formed to address the specific issues faced by black women, and to offer advice and support to thos...
St George's Mission and St Peter's church, Wapping
1856 Reverend Charles Fuge Lowder commenced work on the mission in Wapping (named for their church St George's-in-the-East). Initially it was met with hostility, but in time it came to play an impo...
From Heritage Images (link now dead): "The Eagle Hut was designed as a centre for soldiers on leave in London during the First World War, providing accommodation and food. A group of soldiers, incl...
Lloyds Coffee House
Edward Lloyd first opened his coffee house on Tower Street in 1687 but had to move to larger premises in Lombard Street in 1691. It was a meeting place for businessmen where information was exchan...
Trade union representing all building trades.
Group, Community / Clubs, Politics & Administration, Property