Old Spitalfields Market
Building From 1638
The existing buildings (east of Crispin Place) were built by Robert Horner in 1887-93, designed by George Sherrin, to house a wholesale market. He sold to the the City of London in 1920. The extension (west of Crispin Place) was built in 1926 and opened by Queen Mary 23 November 1928. From Britain from above: “The Market Annexe was designed by … Sydney Perks …. In 2003, the Market Annexe was demolished for the 'Bishop's Square' development.” During this work many human remains were found, from the cemetery that used to be on the site. These remains are stored in the Museum of London Rotunda.
In 1991 the wholesale fruit and vegetable market moved to New Spitalfields Market in Leyton and the old market was renovated. This involved the demolition of the extension in 2003 - so that's what we've chosen for our picture.