Old Ford on River Lee
This is, approximately, the area where the Greenway crosses the River Lea, E3. In Roman times the ford was the most down-stream place where the River Lea could be crossed so it was an important point on the route from London to Colchester. "Stratford" on the east side meant "paved way to a ford". The shape of the first bridge built here, in about 1110, may have given Bow its name.