Part of the Regent's Canal. Built in 1820 to allow boats to moor and unload cargo, initially brought long distance but it soon became used primarily to transport local coal and building materials. Fell into decline in the 1930s as rail and then road took over the job. The part south of the City Road was filled in in the '30s and more was lost in 1979. Crystal Hale led a local campaign to save the Basin for the community. The picture is from 1992.
The City Road itself was built in 1761.