Nine Elms Motive Power
Group From 1839 To 1967
This depot was responsible for the locomotives working out of Waterloo. Locomotive, carriage and wagon workshops were built in 1839 in Vauxhall at the end of Nine Elms Lane. Rebuilt following an 1841 fire. By 1865 a second larger works had been built, to the south. By 1909 the works had outgrown the site and moved away leaving a large steam motive power depot on the site which housed and serviced locomotives for Waterloo railway station until 1967. View from the Mirror has an excellent post on Nine Elms and Waterloo stations.