mobile nav

Subject

Missions to Seamen Institute

Group  From 1893  To 1932

Categories: Social Welfare

From Port Cities: " ... the Missions to Seamen organization {was} founded in 1856. Its task was to coordinate the work of various Anglican ministries on behalf of seamen. The organization's most obvious presence in London was its Institute on the East India Dock Road, opened in 1893. It contained a church,  gymnasium, coffee bar and classrooms. Although the Institute was closed in 1932, when Missions to Seamen moved to new headquarters in the Royal Docks, the building has survived. The organization was renamed the Mission to Seafarers and remains active in 100 ports worldwide, including Tilbury. To find out more, go to the Mission's website."

The postcards show the east face of the building from across the Poplar Recreation Ground.

See other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Missions to Seamen Institute

Information Commemorated at

Missions to Seamen Institute - Duke of York

This stone was laid by His Royal Highness, the Duke of York, KG October 9th 1893

Read More