mobile nav

Subject

Middlesex Hospital

Group  From 1757  To 2008

Categories: Medicine

Opened first in 1745 on Windmill Street and moved to Mortimer Street, Fitzrovia in 1757 where new wings were added over time. Between June 1928 and May 1935 it was completely rebuilt on the same site. The building closed in 2005, was demolished 2008 and in 2012 the site is still empty.

2014: the luxury development of "Fitzroy Place" is nearing completion and a battle is being fought to ensure that the only building retained, the lovely Middlesex Hospital Chapel, is allowed to keep that name, partly to ensure that the existence of the hospital is remembered.

See other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Middlesex Hospital

Information Commemorated at

Fitzrovia local mural

Cynthia Williams was added in 2000.

Read More

Middlesex Hospital and Barnato and Joel

We had not heard of the Barnato-Joel family before coming across this plaque....

Read More

PP - 4N - Lucas

William Freer Lucas, MRCS, LLD, at Middlesex Hospital risked poison for himse...

Read More