Metropolitan Borough of Hammersmith
Group From 1900 To 1965
Formed as a civil parish in 1834 from the chapelry of Hammersmith that had existed in the ancient parish of Fulham, Middlesex since 1631. It was grouped with Fulham as the Fulham District from 1855 until 1886. In 1889 it became part of the County of London and in 1900, became a metropolitan borough. In 1965 it was abolished and became the northern part of the London Borough of Hammersmith; renamed in 1979 as the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham. The motto on the coat of arms translates as 'Let us be judged by our actions'.