mobile nav

Subject

Lord's cricket ground

Place  From 1787 

Categories: Sport / Games

Thomas Lord laid out his original cricket ground in Dorset Square in 1787. It was used mainly by the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) which was founded there in the same year. Following a dispute over the rent Lord relocated his ground in 1811 to Lisson Grove and then in 1814 to the current St John's Wood site.  MCC's purchase of the freehold in 1864 was funded by William NicholsonThe two plaques to the second ground are a long way apart but satellite view shows the size of the current ground and it is comparable.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Lord's cricket ground

Information Commemorated at

45782

Lord's cricket ground

unveiled by Andrew Strauss.

Read More

49907

Second Lord's Cricket Ground - Lisson Grove

MCC The second Lord's Cricket Ground, 1811 - 1813, home of MCC, was located o...

Read More

46126

Second Lord's Cricket Ground - Park Road

MCC The second Lord's Cricket Ground, 1811 - 1813, home of MCC, was located c...

Read More

52144

Sport relief sculpture

Portland stone.  Charmingly modern relief sculpture showing 13 sport particip...

Read More