Lord's cricket ground
Place From 1787
Thomas Lord laid out his original cricket ground in Dorset Square in 1787. It was used mainly by the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) which was founded there in the same year. Following a dispute over the rent Lord relocated his ground in 1811 to Lisson Grove and then in 1814 to the current St John's Wood site. MCC's purchase of the freehold in 1864 was funded by William Nicholson. The two plaques to the second ground are a long way apart but satellite view shows the size of the current ground and it is comparable.