Group From 15/1/1900 To /6/2009
From Hippodrome Casino: "Originally opened in 1900 by the renowned theatre architect Frank Matcham as a circus variety theatre, the Hippodrome featured a 100,000 gallon tank in which elephants, polar bears and sea lions would swim. Works in 1909 enlarged the stage and advanced the proscenium arch to suit the theatre for variety rather than circus and, from 1912, revue. In 1957 the Hippodrome was transformed into the legendary Talk of the Town theatre restaurant by Charles Forte, Bernard Delfont and Robert Nesbitt and featured stars including Shirley Bassey, Stevie Wonder and Judy Garland. After various different incarnations, including a nightclub under the management of Peter Stringfellow, in 2008 the venue returned to its roots as a circus venue for burlesque cabaret La Clique, which closed in June 2009. The planning application by The Hippodrome Casino Limited was approved by Westminster City Council in 2006 and a gaming license awarded in late 2008."
See the magnificent Arthur Lloyd for all you need to know.