Lloyds Coffee House
Building From 1691 To 1785
Edward Lloyd first opened his coffee house on Tower Street in 1687 but had to move to larger premises in Lombard Street in 1691. It was a meeting place for businessmen where information was exchanged. In 1696 Lloyd started publishing Lloyds Lists of ship arrivals and departures and so began what is now the world's leading insurance market providing specialist insurance.