The (Red) Lion Brewery, designed by Francis Edwards, stood on the South Bank from 1836. The brewery occupied the site now used by the Royal Festival Hall and its stables, warehouses, etc. were on a site immediately opposite to the east on Belvedere Road. Originally run by James Goding and his family the brewery was taken over by Hoare and Co in 1924. The main building was badly damaged by fire in 1931, after which it was used for storage and then became derelict, until 1949 when the Royal Festival Hall was built on the site. More information at British History on-line.
Building From 1836 To 1931
This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
South Bank Lion
We've left the punctuation unchanged in our transcription of the plaque: miss...
1857 joined his brother, George, in the family biscuit firm, Huntley and Palmers, based in Reading. Ran the London office and lived with his family in Hampstead in a house close to the site of the ...
Smithfield Fish Market opened
Thanks to (C) Peter Gregson for the picture.
Jolly Sailor Inn
Claimed to be the first public building in South Norwood. When it opened there was little else here except for brickworks and farmland.
Hyde Park Conduit House
A building that housed an ancient spring supplying water to Westminster Abbey. The right to use this was granted by King Edward the Confessor. This right ceased temporarily at the Reformation, but ...