Architect, engineer, surveyoy active in 1884-1901, at least. Surveyor to the West Ham Local Board. First president of the Institution of Municipal Engineers formed in 1873. Also designed the 1894 library and public hall at 105 Barking Road, E16; 1897 Engine House at West Ham Pumping Station, Abbey Road, E15.
From AIM25: "In 1897 the Socialists and some of the Progressives on the council formed a Labour group with a policy including, among other things, the establishment of a works department. At the election of 1898 this group, with 29 seats, won control. The new council proceeded vigorously with the schemes for the baths, council houses, hospitals, the electricity undertaking, tramways, and sewage disposal already started or planned. Its most controversial measure was to set up an independent works department, which brought it into collision with the aged borough engineer, Lewis Angell, who had held office for 32 years. He had already fought one successful battle against an independent works department. That had been set up in 1894, but its manager proved ineffective, and in 1896 Angell forced his resignation and annexed his department. In 1899, when the Labour council decided to re-establish the works department, Angell bitterly resisted the proposal and was dismissed. The works department, under a new manager, was given the task of building, by direct labour, the new isolation hospital at Plaistow."
On Wanstead Flats, the Bandstand or Angell Pond (a round pond by Capel Road) was created by Angell during the winter 1893–4 and was named for him.