Builder active in 1887. Also built: Boston Manor Road Library (1903)
Brentford High Street Project published the death notice in the Middlesex Independent of 25 September 0918: "...the death of Mr, John Joseph Dorey, of Park House, Boston Road, Brentford, and head of the well-known and old-established firm of Joseph Dorey and Co., Ltd., of this town. ... at the residence of his son, Mr. J.H. Dorey, Haldon House, Hamilton Road.... vice-chairman of the Brentford District Council... born at Strand-on-the-Green ... works are at Distillery Road, Brentford ... one of the oldest members of the Brentford Philanthropic Society, ...Overseer for Old Brentford, was a member of the Conservative and Unionist Assoication and Club, was on the Brentford Local Board .. an ardent advocate of all healthy physical recreation... vice-president of the Brentford Boy Scout Association,... The firm of Joseph Dorey and Co., Ltd., had a very wide business scope, and comprised in the undertakings were the York Mineral Water Co., Ltd., British Composition Co., Ltd., and Maxim's Restaurant, Wardour Street, W. It was a curious coincidence that Mr. Dorey pass away at his son's house and that it was in the same residence where both his mother and father died."
The inscription on the Brentford Monument has deteriorated but has been transcribed as "Jno J. Dorey, Vice Chairman". There were two John Doreys in Brentford Council: John Joseph (1849-1918) and his son (who could have been known as John Jnr.) John Henry (c.1877-1940). So we need to clarify which one is referenced on the Monument.
The death notice refers to him fulfilling his role as vice-chairman of Brentford Council just a week or two before his death. We think it unlikely that his son could have been vice-chairman 9 years before, in 1909. So we think that "Jno J." is a mis-transcription of John J."