John Harris Miles
Person Male Born 30/5/1886 Died 26/9/1915
Liveryman of the Worshipful Company of Stationers who died in WW1.
Andrew Behan has kindly provided this research: Second Lieutenant John Harris Miles was born on 30 May 1886 at 31 Ladbroke Gardens, North Kensington, the elder son and the second of the four children of Frederick Harris Miles (1854-1946) and Amelia Frances Miles née Champion (1859-1932). His father was a Wholesale Bookseller/Publisher. On 24 June 1886 he was baptised at Holy Trinity Church, Latimer Road, North Kensington and the parish register confirms that the family were living at 31 Ladbroke Gardens.
The 1901 census shows him as a student at the Elmfield Boarding House, Harrow School, High Street, Harrow, Middlesex.
On 4 June 1907 he was admitted to the Freedom of the City of London by Patrimony in the Worshipful Company of Stationers and electoral registers from 1909 to 1915, entitling him to vote as a Stationer in the City of London, showed his address as 12 Gloucester Square, Hyde Park. The 1911 census confirms him living at this address in Paddington together with his parents, younger sister Dulcie Harris Miles (1888-1976), a cook, a parlour maid, two house maids and a kitchen maid. His occupation was shown as a Publisher.
The London Gazette dated 1 September 1914 show that he was commissioned as Second Lieutenant in the 7th Battalion, Royal Fusiliers and joined their unit in France on 26 June 1915. He was killed in action attached to the 4th Battalion, Royal Fusiliers, aged 29 years, on 26 September 1915 and is buried in Plot 1, Row G, Grave 5 of the Brandhoek Military Cemetery, Grote Brandestraat, Brandhoek, Ypres, Belgium. Probate records show that his address was 4 Stationers Hall Court, London. Probate was granted to his father on 11 November 1915 and his effects totalled £3,854-6s-6d. On 26 January 1916 his father was sent his army effects totalling £82-4s-1d. He was posthumously awarded The 1914-1915 Star, The British War Medal 1914-1918 and The Victory Medal. He is also commemorated on the Harrow School World War 1 Shrine.