Architect. Born Glasgow. Also designed Richmond station.
In addition to the information contained in his biography on the Scottish Architects website, he was shown in the April 1891 census as a scholar living at 9 Shalcomb Street, Chelsea, with his father Andrew Robb Scott (1850-1914), his mother Mary F. Scott née Fletcher (b.1863), his sister Elizabeth R. Scott (1886-1902) and his brother William Boyd Scott (b.1890). His father was described as an architect's draughtsman. However, on 21 May 1891 he was admitted to the Belleville Road School, Wandsworth, where the school register shows he was living at 75 Webbs Road, Battersea. He stayed at this school until 11 April 1895 when he went to Park Walk School, King's Road, Chelsea.
In the 1901 census he shown as an architect (apprentice) residing at 5 North Charlotte Street, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland, with his parents, his two siblings and a female servant. His father was now listed as an architect.
Despite the information shown on his Wikipedia page (in April 2022) that he started working for the London & South Western Railway (L&SWR) in 1907, their employment records confirm that he entered their service as a draughtsman in their Engineer's Department at Waterloo at the rate of £3-6s-0d per week on 21 March 1906. His pay rose to £3-10s-0d pw on 17 March 1909, to £3-15s-0d pw on 25 January 1911 and to £4-4s-0d pw on 23 April 1913. On 1 January 1916 he was placed on salaried staff at £230 per annum, rising to £250 pa on 1 January 1918.
When he completed his 1911 census return he described himself as an architectural draughtsman employed by the L&SWR living in a five roomed house at 29 Moor Mead Road, St Margarets, Twickenham, Middlesex. Also on the census was his wife of two years, Olive Martha Scott, who was aged 23 years (therefore born about 1887/1888) and who was born in Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa, their son Andrew Lord Scott (1910-1925) and his brother William Boyd Scott, who was also described as an architectural draughtsman.
Electoral registers in 1918 and 1919 show him and his wife listed at 22 Trafalgar Road, Twickenham. They were still living there when his wife died, aged 31 years, and was buried on 28 January 1920 in Hampton Hill, Middlesex. He continued to be shown on the 1920 electoral register at 22 Trafalgar Road, Twickenham.
On 14 July 1921 he married Janet Veitch Menzies (1883-1963) in Edinburgh. Electoral registers from 1923 and 1926 show them listed at 34 Keswick Road, Putney, whilst from 1935 to 1939 they were at 36 Roehampton Close, Putney.
Probate records give his address to have been 17 Coates Crescent, Edinburgh and that he died, aged 83 years, on 15 May 1965 in Edinburgh, where he was cremated on 19 May 1965.
Credit for this entry to: Andrew Behan.