mobile nav

Subject

Grodzinski's bakery

Group  From 1890 

Categories: Commerce, Food & Drink

In 1890 (previously thought to have been 1888) Harris and Judith Grodzinski arrived in the East End from what is now Belarus. Starting in a street stall they then set up a bakery at 31 Fieldgate Street and lived above. The business stayed in the Grodzinski family and thrived, expanding into a number of other locations. By the mid-1960s Grodzinski's was the largest kosher bakery in Europe. It went on to expand overseas.

The Fieldgate address was bombed on 29 December 1940 which is when the Grodzinski's left that location.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Grodzinski's bakery

Information Commemorated at

71595

Grodzinski's bakery

This plaque commemorates the centenary of A. Grodzinski & Co. Ltd. whose orig...

Read More