In 1890 (previously thought to have been 1888) Harris and Judith Grodzinski arrived in the East End from what is now Belarus. Starting in a street stall they then set up a bakery at 31 Fieldgate Street and lived above. The business stayed in the Grodzinski family and thrived, expanding into a number of other locations. By the mid-1960s Grodzinski's was the largest kosher bakery in Europe. It went on to expand overseas.
The Fieldgate address was bombed on 29 December 1940 which is when the Grodzinski's left that location.