mobile nav


Great Conduit

Building  From 1236  To 1666

Categories: Engineering, Food & Drink

In 1236/7 the City of London was granted permission to tap the Tyburn Springs, at about where Stratford Place now is. Work to build the conduit began in 1245. it went via Piccadilly, Charing Cross, the Strand, Fleet Street, Ludgate Circus, north of St Pauls, to Cheapside. At the site of the plaque there was a a deep cistern and fountain.

At Ancestreemakers we learn that the conduit was "a wood and lead water pipe with an internal diameter of 90 mm, which lay, encased in clay, at the bottom of a deep trench". Already being superseded by other sources of fresh water the conduit was damaged in the Great Fire and abandoned.

The image shows the Conduit to the right, and comes via The Guardian from Guildhall Library & Art Gallery/Heritage Images/Getty.

See other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Great Conduit

Information Commemorated at

Great Conduit in Cheapside - blue

The Great Conduit stood in this street providing free water, 13th century to ...

Read More

Great Conduit in Cheapside - stone

{Below the City of London crest:} The Great Conduit lies beneath this spot. B...

Read More