Taking its name from a nearby gravel pit, this was established in Hackney between 1715 and 1716. Initially it was for a nonconformist congregation, but eventually became Unitarian. In 1809 it moved to new premises, the New Gravel Pit Chapel (demolished in 1969), and the old building was taken over by Congregationalists.
The gravel pit to which the name refers is thought to have been near the north end of Mare Street.
Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk