Building From 1677
This George Inn existed in the late 16th century though originally known as The George and Dragon. The current building was erected in 1677 after a serious fire destroyed most of Southwark. The north range was pulled down in 1874 but the the southern range survived to become London’s only remaining galleried coaching inn. The Inn was known to Shakespeare and Dickens.
A London Inheritance has a splendid post on this Inn.