First synagogue after resettlement
Building From 1657 To 1701
A house in Creechurch Lane was converted to a synagogue for the Sephardi Jews (Spanish and Portuguese) which opened in 1657. This was enlarged but the increase in numbers quickly made a purpose-built synagogue necessary and it opened in Bevis Marks in 1699.
Meanwhile the Great Synagogue was built in Duke's Place in 1690.