Eyre Arms Tavern
Building From 1821 To 1928
St John’s Wood was once part of the Great Forest of Middlesex. Until the end of the eighteenth century (when plans for residential development first appeared) it remained in agricultural use. By 1732, most of it had been acquired by the Eyre family who developed the area. The picture of the tavern is dated 1820, which would indicate that it was there for some years before the date of 1821 on the plaque.