The Evelina Children's Hospital was founded by Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild and named for his wife, who had died aged 27 with her child in labour in 1866. It was planned by Dr Arthur Farre in a purpose-built hospital hospital in Southwark Bridge Road at Quilp Street. This was then in a poor district but is now the western section of Mint Street Park (the eastern section was previously the site of St George's Workhouse).
In 1948 it became a branch of Guy's Hospital, moving to that site and merging with Guy’s Hospital Children’s Department in 1976 when the Southwark building was demolished. It moved to a purpose-built hospital at St Thomas' in 2005.