Place    To 1675

Essex Street, House & grounds

Categories: Architecture, Property

Place

The site now covered by Essex Street and Devereux Court was once Essex House and grounds, named after Robert, Earl of Essex, Queen Elizabeth's favourite, who also led a rebellion against her which ended with him besieged in this house. In 1675 Nicholas Barbon laid out Essex Street.

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Essex Street, House & grounds

Commemorated ati

Essex Street & Essex Hall

This plaque was first erected at 7 Essex Street in 1962 and then re-erected h...

Read More

Other Subjects

Joseph Clayton

Joseph Clayton

Architect active in 1924.  He was a war veteran and had been a member of the St George in the East's congregation. He gave a lead on the war memorial project but then in 1923 moved to the Midlands....

Person, Architecture

1 memorial
Moxhay's Hall of Commerce in Threadneedle Street

Moxhay's Hall of Commerce in Threadneedle Street

From British History: The Hall of Commerce, existing some years ago in Threadneedle Street, was begun in 1830 by Mr. Edward Moxhay, a speculative biscuit-baker, on the site of the old French church...

Building, Architecture, Commerce

1 memorial
Sir Ebenezer Howard

Sir Ebenezer Howard

Founder of the garden city movement. Born 62 Fore Street. Travelled to America in 1871 where he tried farming and was in Chicago at the time that it was being rebuilt after a great fire. The new su...

Person, Architecture, Property, Social Welfare, USA

1 memorial
Major Byron F. Caws

Major Byron F. Caws

Believed to have assisted Fowler in his work on the Concise Oxford Dictionary. The Latin on the memorial, 'castigavit et emendavit', translates as “he corrected and improved“, which is quite an ac...

Person, Architecture, Armed Forces, Engineering, Literature

1 memorial
Shoreham Bridge

Shoreham Bridge

Suspension bridge over the River Adur in Shoreham-by-Sea, West Sussex. Designed by William Tierney Clark with Captain Samuel Brown. It was replaced in 1923.

Building, Architecture

1 memorial