Place    To 1898

Elm House

Categories: Property

Birthplace of William Morris. The family moved from here to Woodford Hall in 1840. The 1890s drawing is by Edmund Hort New (1871 - 1931).

Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Elm House

Commemorated ati

William Morris - birthplace

Directly opposite stood Elm House (demolished in 1898) in extensive grounds t...

Read More

Other Subjects

Old Watch House - E17

Old Watch House - E17

Before an effective police force was established each local council or vestry organised their own watchmen. The watch house was where they would hold prisoners before they appeared in court. Like t...

Building, Law, Property

1 memorial
8 Grenville Street

8 Grenville Street

The Marchmont Association thoroughly research their plaques and they found some interesting information about Barrie’s home: “Barrie (1937) writes (in the third person) about his first residences ...

Building, Property

1 memorial
Old Change

Old Change

City street dating from 1293. Its name derives from the King's Exchange, where the bullion was stored for making coins.

Place, Property

1 memorial
Marylebone Association for Improving the Dwellings of the Industrious Classes

Marylebone Association for Improving the Dwellings of the Industrious Classes

Incorporated by royal charter in 1854, possibly on 7th April. Still operating in 1928.

Group, Philanthropy, Property, Social Welfare

1 memorial
Rotherhithe Old Town Hall

Rotherhithe Old Town Hall

 Built in 1895 by the architects Murray and Foster.  The caryatides can be seen in the image either side of the entrance at the right. In 1905 Rotherhithe merged with Bermondsey and St Olave and t...

Building, Politics & Administration, Property

2 memorials