In 1852, the area Novia Scotia Gardens being a notorious slum, Angela Burdett-Coutts bought it with the intention of developing healthy accommodation for the poor and a market for their use. However the refuse collector using part of the site had a lease until 1859. Only then could Coutts could carry out her plan.
She had Columbia Market built as a covered food market with 400 stalls. But for various reasons it was not a success, and after being used as warehouse and workshops the market closed in 1886. Immediately east of the market Coutts also built the residential Columbia Dwellings, completed 1859-62, which had its own swimming pool and baths and a laundry, all designed by Henry Darbishire. The name 'Columbia' was chosen in recognition of the bishopric of British Columbia, founded by Burdett-Coutts in 1857.
Drawings and photos show some impressive buildings, but despite their quality they were condemned in 1958 and demolished in 1960. The modernist tower block Sivill House and other low-rise housing replaced the Coutts buildings. The new streets having names such as Old Market Square and Georgina Gardens.
Both this 1916 map and this 1895 map show the location very well. Using current street names: the development filled the site south of Baroness Road and north of Columbia Road. The market was between the eastern edge of the nursery school and the shortest N-S stump of Baroness Road. The residential blocks filled the space east of this stump of Baroness Road across to the N-S footpath in Ravenscroft Park.