Building    From 1703  To /12/1940

Coachmakers' Hall

Categories: Liveries & Guilds

Building

The Worshipful Company of Coachmakers and Coach Harness Makers received their charter in 1677 and initially did not have a hall of their own.

Following the Great Fire the Worshipful Company of Scriveners built their hall in Noble Street and used it themselves until 1703 when they sold it to the Coachmakers, who rebuilt it in 1843 and in 1870. Finally it was destoyed by bombs in WW2.

Alamy have an image of the 1851 interior, looking more like a disused church. British History Online have a pre-1929 photo of another part of the hall but we cannot find an image of the exterior.

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Coachmakers' Hall

Commemorated ati

Coachmakers Hall

Site of the Coachmakers' Hall, 1703 - 1940. City of London

Read More

Other Subjects

Curriers' Hall

Curriers' Hall

The Curriers' Company began in 1272. From 1605 it built itself 6 Halls in the City, the last in 1876 (pictured), which it had to sell in the 1920s. Since then it has enjoyed the hospitality of othe...

Building, Liveries & Guilds

1 memorial
Parish Clerks' Hall

Parish Clerks' Hall

The Company of Parish Clerks is, of course, the organisation of Parish Clerks of the City and central London, first incorporated in 1441. And, of course, they needed a hall. 1st Hall: Clerks Place...

Building, Liveries & Guilds

2 memorials