Building From 31/3/1858
At the same time that Battersea Park was created the first bridge at its eastern corner was built (shown in the image). This was opened in 1858, as Victoria Bridge, by Queen Victoria on her way to officially open the Park. Within a few years there were concerns about its safety so weight limits were introduced and extra support chains were added. Cynically it was at this point decided to rename the bridge, thus ensuring that any collapse would not be associated with the Queen.
Traffic increased so much that it became necessary to rebuild the bridge. The new one, still in place, was opened on 6 May 1937.