Architect. Chief architect for the Metropolitan Railway Company, designing 25 London Underground stations. Also designed houses for Metro-land, which that railway opened up for housing. His Wikipedia page gives some details of this man and his career.
Charles Walter Clark was born on 28 September 1885 in Battersea, the only child of Charles Jacob Clark (1856-1940) and Lavinia Clark née Taylor (1864-1944). His birth was registered in the 4th quarter of 1885 in the Wandsworth registration district.
The 1891 census shows that he was living at 38 Broomwood Road, Battersea, with his parents and a female domestic servant. His father was recorded as a commercial traveller drapery. The 1901 census confirms he and his parents were still residing at the same address.
When his father completed the 1911 census form he is shown as an architect's assistant, living with his parents at The Cottage, Meath Green, Horley, Surrey. His father described himself as a retired draper.
He was initiated as a freemason on the 10 December 1913 in the Enoch Lodge No.11 that met at Freemasons' Hall, Great Queen Street, London, WC2. Their membership register shows that he gave his age as 28 years, his occupation as an architect and that he was living in Horley, Surrey.
On 4 May 1918 he was enlisted as an Able Seaman in the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve, service number AA2947 and his naval records show he was attached to HMS President V, a shore based establishment, until he was demobilised on 18 February 1919. As he was awarded only the British War Medal 1914-1918 and not the Victory Medal, it would indicate that he did not proceed to a war zone.
In the 1939 England and Wales register he is shown as a retired architect and surveyor, a single man, living at Upalong, East Portlemouth, Salcombe, Devon, with his parents.
His death, aged 87 years, was registered in the 4th quarter of 1972 in the Kingsbridge registration district, Devon. Probate records confirm that he had lived at Upalong, East Portlemouth and died on 4 December 1972. Probate was granted on 6 February 1973 and his effects totalled £52,491.
Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk and Andrew Behan.